Wednesday, February 27
Reason
It's the school break and yes, I'm gonna be Year 2 soon. That's really fast. Before you know it, I'll be throwing my graduation hat and officially certified as an OT. Oh boy, wow!
Looking back at my first year, I'm actually glad that my A'level results suck.
I'm glad that I wasn't accepted by all 3 local universities.
I'm glad that my appeals were rejected all at the same day.
I'm glad that I didn't rush into a decision or do something foolish about the fear of not having anywhere to go after being rejected, like trying to pay $100+ for a private uni application.
I'm glad that I didn't get into psychology.
I'm glad that Pauline intro-ed to me about her course.
I'm glad that I took a GAP year to think things through.
I'm glad that I applied for her course immediately after applications opened.
I'm glad that they accepted me.
I'm glad that I made this my first choice in my life career.
Ever since I stepped into this course, I'm glad that its Occupational Therapy.
Hahaha, I bet this is sooo cheesy that you feeling like gagging. But hey it was a really tough time for me. It was the first time that I have ever felt so lost and directionless in my life. Not knowing what to do and where to start is a really frightening experience. Everything happens for a reason huh? Well, I thank God for everything that happened and ultimately placing me rightfully in this area... I just know it.
Rightfully?
Some people might say "duh, isn't it obvious that you have nowhere to go that this is the 'right' place to go. Isn't this is a dumping ground for students who don't do well...a place for students who have SUCKY A'LEVEL RESULTS and CAN'T GET IN TO UNI?" Hah, the irony! I used to be one of those that said this but ended up here. Yup, I won't deny that this was one of the reason. Oh Oh Oh, how it felt like to have all your friends studying in universities(even private ones), to have responses like "but didn't you have an A'level cert? Shouldn't you at least apply for a private uni? Why are you wasting your time in a polytechnic? '
But HAH HAH HAH, I do not regret a single thing about my decision. Notice how the above was one of the reasons. I started to like and enjoy this course from the things I've learnt. Everything was so practical --mobility, self-care, ottp, fellow classmates/lecturers that I have, and even anatomy&physiology! Despite the huge chunk of info that was compacted, squeezed and fed into our brain (only memorising these stuff becomes the annoying part). Otherwise, you have no idea how amazing your own body is and how it works :0
"I am wonderfully and fearfully made."
- Psalm 139
The strongest thing that struck me was during my clinical attachment(mind you, we have attachments from Year 1-3) in an acute hospital. It was because of an old man that was admitted. I can't remember much about the details but his back view was the most depressing sight I've ever seen. I think I didn't even do much during his therapy session but that experience alone was enough to make me realise, "Yes, this is definitely the right place. I know why I'm here for and it is and will be the reason why I will continue with this path that I've chosen."
I wanted to cry on the spot. Aish, it was weird because it was a mixed feeling of sadness and happiness at the same time.
Ooo yikes, this post is getting too long and emotional. Hah. Anyway to summarise it all, I am indeed having a great time in this course despite complaining and whining in certain aspects of it. But this one sentence that has really stuck to me always (that doesn't necessarily have to apply to my course).
As said by the lecturer,
"Know what is your reason for being here because it will be the one that drives you forward"
*FYI, it is not a dumping ground. There are students who scored straight As for their A'level results :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment